[ltp] report: fglrx 8.25.18 dynamic display switching working, sort of

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 May 2006 03:22:26 -0400

Hi all:
This is a feature that we dreamed about for a long time and has existed
only using vesa driver(allegedly, although I haven't even get that to
work): you use a linux machine for a presentation, plug in the projector
to VGA port and *dynamically* switch to dual screen(without needing the
projector connected when the machine is booting up or restarting X).
The new 8.25.18 fglrx drive adds an experimental support for this(so
experimental that it is not mentioned in the release notes).

It consists of two new command on aticonfig: --query-monitior to show
which monitor is connected. This works very well, when I plug
projector/external LCD, it shows up and when I unplug it disappear.

Also --enable-monitor works to a limited extent: I can do
aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1
to switch to use external display exclusively, with internal LCD
disabled. And I can do
aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds
to switch back to use internal LCD exclusively, with external display
disabled, however if I do
aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1
or
aticonfig --enable-monitor=crt1,lvds
to attempt to use both display simultaneously, the system hard locked,
and I can't even use ctrl-alt-Fn to switch to virtual terminal. I can
however hold down power button for a few second and wait till system
shutdown cleanly.
The system is a T43 running linux 2.6.15.7 with suspend-to-ram patch.
This is obviously an improvement upon previous situation but just a bit
short of perfection.
I'm filing a bug report to ATI.
Any other experience or suggestions are most welcome.
Jiang