[ltp] Anyone still using Thinkpad 600?

Tomek Jarzynka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:59:15 +0100

Hi,

I recently pulled my good ol' entry model of Thinkpad 600 (2645-310)
with the purpose of using it as a router.
All is well, but two issues arose:
1) disk performance. The machine has an original IBM-DYKA-23240 3.2G
   disk and the highest "timing buffered disk reads" value that I can
   get in hdparm is around 6MB. If by any chance someone has a similar
   machine, what is the disk throughput in your case? Is there anything
   that can be done besides tweaking lookahead, unmaskirq and DMA to
   improve performance? Do newer disks perform better?
2) PCMCIA performance. I have the feeling that the IRQ settings (i.e.
   cardbus sharing interrupt 11 with the graphics card and something
   else) aren't optimal. I tried to boot a DOS CD with PS2 exe but
   the CDROM seems to be dead, so I'll have to figure how to boot into
   DOS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS. Oh, and did anyone get vesafb to work with ypan/ywrap, or figured
how to make neofb scroll text faster?

=2D-=20
tomasz k. jarzynka / 601 706 601 / tomee(a-t)kadu(d-o-t)net

"Opinia WC3 to taka sama opinia jak moja, Twoja czy Pana Boga
	(c) W. Orli=F1ski"