[ltp] Suspend-to-ram with / mounted from USB

Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:13:28 +1100

--=-WAZPxsEEyqxQsktjXTG2

Hi,

> > 1)Try putting root on a CF card, and buy a 1GB card + CF->mini-IDE =20
> > adapter for about $30. Then replace your HDD with it.
>=20
> i had that plan too but CF tend to wear out pretty quickly if used as =20
> /var, /home or /tmp. Right now these are saved on HD on copied into a =20
> ramfs at startup =3D> 0 writes on flash in normaler operation. Only softw=
are =20
> installs/upgrades/removes wirte to the stick.

Sure that USB sticks would last longer? I was always under the
impression that the memory modules used basically are the same.?.

> Maybe copying the often-changed files from the CF into a ramdisc and =20
> writing them back at shutdown is the right way. But then i will have to d=
o =20
> something about my windows. Is it possible to insert a CF into a =20
> ultrabay-HD adapter ?

Shouldn't be a problem. There are IDE->CF adapters that are completely
transparent to the system. Using one of them in the UltraBay HD adapter
should result in the CF card being treated completely like a harddisk
from 10 years ago. ;-)

> > 2)You need to edit your suspend scripts to allow the usb key to be =20
> > unmounted before suspend, and remounted thereafter.
>=20
> The stick contains a squashfsed image of /usr (/opt, /sbin and /bin will =
=20
> follow). I cannot umount /usr w/o stopping each and every prog using file=
s =20
>  from /usr, like the Xserver ... Or is there a way to freze these progs a=
nd =20
> free the mount ?

You can unmount busy volumes with the lazy option (-l). I did this for
some time on my MediaCenter X20 which had some smb shares mounted that i
needed to survive the suspend cycle (smbfs doesn't survive network
shutdowns).

I don't know though if your system would like that. Try with care.

Andr=E9.

--=-WAZPxsEEyqxQsktjXTG2

--=-WAZPxsEEyqxQsktjXTG2--