[ltp] X60s overheating??

Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:07:38 +0200

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:26:55PM +0100, Guillermo Ju=E1rez wrote:
> The x60s is an incredible machine and I can affirm that the heating is
> not a big problem at all. Of course, due to the tiny size, the air
> flow is not as good as in another laptops and you will feel it a
> little bit warmer, but that's it.
>=20
> I have tried Edgy in my x60s myself, and it works wonderfully well.

My coworker recently bought an x60s and we installed Edgy on it.  There
are a few problems, and I would like to hear how you avoided/solved
them:

  * With the -686 kernel you get dual-CPU support, but software suspend
    stops working (the half-moon starts blinking, but the laptop won't
    suspend); with the -generic kernel suspend mostly works (it often
    crashes on resume with a blank screen), but you're limited to one
    CPU.

  * Sometimes the laptop freezes for about 30 seconds and then starts
    working again.  This seems to happen just before a Skype message
    appears.  Something to do with the sound card?  When the laptop
    is frozen you can do nothing with it (the mouse cursor doesn't
    move, Caps Lock doesn't work).

  * The wireless ipw3945 card sometimes drops the connection.
    ifdown followed by ifup helps.

  * falconseye segfaults on startup.

Marius Gedminas
a mostly happy T42 owner