[ltp] X60s overheating??

Martin Lorenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:42:46 +0100

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 06:07:38PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:26:55PM +0100, Guillermo Ju=C3=A1rez wrote:
> > The x60s is an incredible machine and I can affirm that the heating is
> > not a big problem at all. Of course, due to the tiny size, the air
> > flow is not as good as in another laptops and you will feel it a
> > little bit warmer, but that's it.
> >=20
> > I have tried Edgy in my x60s myself, and it works wonderfully well.
>=20
> My coworker recently bought an x60s and we installed Edgy on it.  There
> are a few problems, and I would like to hear how you avoided/solved
> them:
>=20
>   * With the -686 kernel you get dual-CPU support, but software suspend
>     stops working (the half-moon starts blinking, but the laptop won't
>     suspend); with the -generic kernel suspend mostly works (it often
>     crashes on resume with a blank screen), but you're limited to one
>     CPU.

I baked my own kernel...
with the recent 2.6.19-rc6 all the show stoppers have gone
maybe ububtu will release a new kernel soon

>=20
>   * Sometimes the laptop freezes for about 30 seconds and then starts
>     working again.  This seems to happen just before a Skype message
>     appears.  Something to do with the sound card?  When the laptop
>     is frozen you can do nothing with it (the mouse cursor doesn't
>     move, Caps Lock doesn't work).
>=20
never seen taht one

>   * The wireless ipw3945 card sometimes drops the connection.
>     ifdown followed by ifup helps.
>=20
ocasionally
not too bad a problem to me
happens about one time in 24 hours and only if I am wireless inline=20
that long - as I change location several times a day I usually don't get to
that point.

>   * falconseye segfaults on startup.
>=20
never heard of falconseye

I run debian/sid with some experimental packages and a home-grown kernel

> Marius Gedminas
> a mostly happy T42 owner
> --=20
> A witty saying proves nothing.
>                 -- Voltaire

gruss
  mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

            They that can give up essential liberty=20
	    to obtain a little temporary safety=20
	    deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

please encrypt your mail to me