[ltp] X60s overheating??

Sarunas Burdulis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:42:28 -0500

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 12:26:55PM +0100, Guillermo Juárez wrote:
>> The x60s is an incredible machine and I can affirm that the heating is
>> not a big problem at all. Of course, due to the tiny size, the air
>> flow is not as good as in another laptops and you will feel it a
>> little bit warmer, but that's it.
>>
>> I have tried Edgy in my x60s myself, and it works wonderfully well.
>
> My coworker recently bought an x60s and we installed Edgy on it.  There
> are a few problems, and I would like to hear how you avoided/solved
> them:
>
>   * With the -686 kernel you get dual-CPU support, but software suspend
>     stops working (the half-moon starts blinking, but the laptop won't
>     suspend); with the -generic kernel suspend mostly works (it often
>     crashes on resume with a blank screen), but you're limited to one
>     CPU.
X60s with dual-core L2300@1.50GHz here. Where do you get -686 for Edgy
from, apart from building it? As far as Edgy packages, -686 is
"obsoleted" by -generic, which is now SMP (this wasn't the case in
Dapper though). Yes, resume from sleep (softw. suspend) is still flaky,
i.e. it fails approx. every third attempt. And when it resumes OK,
ipw3945 has to be re-modprobed for WiFi to work again...

>   * Sometimes the laptop freezes for about 30 seconds and then starts
>     working again.  This seems to happen just before a Skype message
>     appears.  Something to do with the sound card?  When the laptop
>     is frozen you can do nothing with it (the mouse cursor doesn't
>     move, Caps Lock doesn't work).
Haven't experienced this, nor any other freezes. Don't use for much more
than e-mail/browsing though.

>   * The wireless ipw3945 card sometimes drops the connection.
>     ifdown followed by ifup helps.
So far it happily reconnects again. Probably depends on WiFi network
being used.

>   * falconseye segfaults on startup.
Might have something to do with /var/games/falconseye/perm owned by
root:games. Is the user a member of games group?

Sarunas