[ltp] 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Andrew J. Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:59:46 -0500

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 12:49 +0000, Hamie wrote:
> Is anyone running  a 64bit distribution on a core2duo thinkpad out there yet?
> If so, which distribution, and what's it like? Any problems (Beyond no flash
> on web pages)?

I run Debian unstable amd64 on a Core 2 Duo Intel Desktop Board machine.
It seems much faster than 32-bit...especially for stuff like encoding
video: I've been transcoding episodes of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" from
DVDs and each 30-minute episode takes about 10 minutes to resize and do
2-pass XviD encoding.

As for problems, the only one I've hit so far is some kind of issue with
Gaim away messages...if they're too long it will crash; this doesn't
happen on my 32-bit laptop. I filed a bug with the Gaim people here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1602067&group_id=235&atid=100235

As for Flash, you can use nspluginwrapper from what I understand.
Myself, I only ever used Flash for Youtube and here's the 64-bit
solution to that:

http://simbab.livejournal.com/26985.html

All free software too. Gnash is also useful...it doesn't do video yet
but it does do a lot of everything else.

HTH,
Andrew