[ltp] Re: 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:30:26 +0000

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:10, Evgeni Golov wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:59:51 +0000 Hamish wrote:
> > Booted into the BIOS menus. Disabled the trackpad (Useless thing)
> > Sadly, the debian netinst for debian.31r3.amd64 doesn't boot... It
> > seems to have problems with ACPI (Hangs after the 'ACPI: Found ECDT'
> > message).
> >
> > But the i386 31r4 netinst iso does boot...
>
> Try recent netinst for Etch, they have a much newer kernel and should
> work better on new hardware.

Hmm.. Thanks for that. But where? All the links I can find are still 31r3 or
31r4 (Kernel 2.6.17 [and maybe others] seems to have a problem with the tg3
driver).

I'm not sure which kernel ubuntu was using, but the drums & non-working
interface did my head in.

I did get Knoppix working... Sort of... The DHCP client worked, but I was only
receiving, and not sending... So I unloaded & re-loaded tg3, and set the  IP
by hand, and hey presto. It worked... I have to see now if I can duplicate
the feat.

Hamish