[ltp] 240X questions.

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:51:25 -0500

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 23:24 +0000, cloakable wrote:

> And it's still faster than the 380XD (pity it died, I liked that laptop).

I still have a 380XD, actually.  It runs 24/7 in the houes, powering a
webcam.  The 96M limitation on the model I have really sinks it for
desktop use - since I need to run RAM-heavy apps like Gimp and Open
Office.

> And what about Xubuntu Dapper? Would the lighter Xfce desktop make much o=
f a=20
> difference over the heavier GNOME one?

Well, every little bit helps.  Gnome's usable on my 240, but XFCE's a
lot snappier.

> > If you just want a small but cheap Thinkpad, you could go with an X
> > series.  The X20 is *dirt* cheap and tiny, but lacks built-in wireless
> > (some models DO have built-in ethernet, though).  All of the X series
> > notebooks support much more RAM than a 240X does - and are quite usable
> > even with the overhead of Gnome or KDE.

> The only X series model I can find on ebay is a lot of 5 for =C2=A3800 :)=
 Slightly=20
> out of my budget - =C2=A3190

X20, X21, and X22 models pop up on Ebay fairly regularly.  With the X22,
you even get hardware 3D accel.  (It's also possible on an X20, but only
fullscreen on the 500 MHz model with 800x600 screen).

Last I checked, you could get an X20 on Ebay for as little as US$200
(and that was a Buy It Now price).

> > I currently use an X31, and it's almost the perfect Linux laptop.  My
> > only complaint about my X31 is that DRI support for Radeons is a little
> > unstable.
> How much can I expect to pay for one, though?

I paid US$550 for an X31 more than half a year ago.  I could have
probably found one cheaper, but I was impatient. :)

--=20
*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com