[ltp] buying a new Thinkpad

Frank Dekervel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:41:16 +0200

Hello,

i'm considering buying a new Thinkpad, and i wonder how the current thinkpads
do with linux...
my first priority is getting the best support under linux. I'd like to
	- have a good battery life. my current thinkpad draws way too much power when
	  in suspend-to-ram - well known problem it seems - , and battery life is now
	  under 1hour (i have a 2.5 year old R51). i heard intel gfx cards draw less
	  power than ati ones. don't know if it's true.
	- good gfx support : i don't need 3D , but i need to hook up a second screen
	  under high resolution or a projector frequently (without restarting X,
	  so xrandr is a requirement for me).
	  i don't want to mess with binary drivers (except the nvidia ones). on my
	  current thinkpad i'm using the opensource ati drivers, and they work well.
	- CPU power is more important than portability/weight.
and offcourse i'd like a painless installation with all hardware working :)

are my requirements unrealistic ? should i consider another brand ? or are
there some models that can be recommended currently.

thanks !
greetings,
Frank