[ltp] Recommend a Linux Laptop

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:16:39 -0400

On Monday 16 October 2006 17:49, sudhakar+thinkpad@cs.princeton.edu wrote:
> I am thinking of taking the X1300 radeon because atleast I have binary
> drivers from the vendors. I am not so sure about Intel.

If you do not need bleeding-edge 3D performance, for the love of all that is
holy, GO INTEL. They not only have vendor-supplied drivers, but they are open
source and available stock in most distributions. They are in the Xorg and
Mesa source trees. ATI, on the other hand, has delayed providing any
functionality at all on most newer chips and even when they do it is not full
functionality.

I have a MythTV box that needs the nVidia binary driver and it is a PITA as it
is. If I had to buy the hardware again I'd get the VIA board that was
available.

Even if you do have some uses for 3D, still consider the Intel hardware. You
would be buying the much newer GMA 950, and even on my 855GM hardware, all of
the Xscreensaver GL hacks run just fine, Google Earth runs fine, and Compiz
is fine too. I think you only really should consider the ATI offering if you
are a die-hard gamer.

--
Andrew Barr

Now playing: Carpenters - Flat Baroque