[ltp] Re: Best Wireless Headphone with Thinkpad and Linux?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:10:56 +1000

Jiang Qian <qian2@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

[...]

> I take this horror story to mean that I have slim chance of getting
> bluetooth stereo headphone to work under linux at all. Is that
> correct?

Probably.  a2dp support doesn't seem to be present in any recent
distributions which suggests that, basically, it is still to
experimental or unpopular to be easy to acquire.

If you don't care about stereo you can get SCO working happily today,
though, in at least the Ubuntu distribution.  Perhaps giving up stereo
is, for the moment, the lesser evil?

> Is there any other stereo wireless headphone(no bluetooth, some older
> tech) working under linux at all, such as thos 900MHz headphone?  Why
> is this so difficult? I don't even need to have long range, just a
> couple of feet between my head and my thinkpad.

Well, anything that plugs into a stereo line level or headphone output
will be perfectly supported by Linux, because it will not be
distinguishable.

Here in Australia, at least, that sort of tool is relatively available
for uses such as "watching television in privacy" or whatever.

You might consider investigating USB connected wireless headphones as
well.  While I have no experience with them it seems ... pointless for
the vendors to have disregarded the standard audio USB profile, in which
case it should "just work" with the standard drivers.

Of course, knowing USB device vendors, I expect that there are a dozen
incompatible wireless headphone "standards" because each vendor used
their own proprietary protocol to lock out the opposition or whatever.

But, hey, you never know your luck. :)

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact@digital-infrastructure.com.au