[ltp] Hard drive going bad ...?

njcross@sbcglobal.net linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:41:04 -0700

Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com> wrote:
> Content-Description=embedded message
> Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:00:26 -0400
> From: Paul Michael Reilly <pmr@pajato.com>
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org, fedora-list@redhat.com
> Subject: [ltp] Hard drive going bad ...?
>
> The smartd daemon (Fedora Rawhide) is starting to indicate that the
> hard drive has pending unreadable sectors:
>
> Sep  3 08:01:43 roamer smartd[2032]: Device: /dev/hda, 9 Currently
unreadable (pending) sectors

> These have been occurring over the past few days on my (~3 year old)
> A31p Thinkpad.  My first take is that the system is trying to tell me
> that it is time to replace the hard drive.  Before ordering a new
> drive, I figured I'd bounce this off the lists for second opinions.

I'm using an old T23 with Mandriva LE 2005. Everything was OK until my
computer started to intermittently  "tick". When that happens the computer
tends to freeze and on bootup it usually can't find Grub for most of the day!
So, I've started to use a Mandriva liveCD so I can somehow keep working.

My hard disk is dying, isn't it? *sob*  Is there a way I can replace the hard
disk and and have Mandriva, and Winblows 2000 pro, transferred so that
I can keep going without re-installing and setting up again?

Who would you suggest I take my computer to, if I wasn't going to do the
replacement myself?

Many Thanks,
Nev.