[ltp] Hard drive going bad ...?

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:56:53 +0100

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 19:41, njcross@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> My hard disk is dying, isn't it? *sob*  Is there a way I can replace the
> hard disk and and have Mandriva, and Winblows 2000 pro, transferred so that
> I can keep going without re-installing and setting up again?
>
> Who would you suggest I take my computer to, if I wasn't going to do the
> replacement myself?

Why not get a second hard drive, and put it in the Ultrabay?
(I bought an ultrabay hard disk holder for a song on eBay some months ago.)
If it were me, I'd probably make the Windows partiition on the new disk
exactly the same size as the old one,
and use dd to transfer the whole partition.
[But I am not an expert on this.]

I actually did exactly that on my T20,
which is very sick,
and now I have transferred the Ultrabay to my daughter's T23,
and run it as second disk.

(I don't like to do anything to the first disk,
so I change the hard disk order in the BIOS
to run my disk.
This did mean changing root (hd1,1) to (hd0,1) in /etc/grub.conf .)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366