[ltp] Hard drive going bad ...?

dirk husemann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:13:27 +0200

--nextPart4271021.BcnfhVyYS8

on Tuesday 05 September 2006 20:41, njcross@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> My hard disk is dying, isn't it? *sob* =A0Is there a way I can replace the
> hard disk and and have Mandriva, and Winblows 2000 pro, transferred so th=
at
> I can keep going without re-installing and setting up again?

yes, you can replace the harddisk. just get a laptop/notebook harddisk. i'v=
e=20
done this several times myself. to transfer the content to the new harddisk=
=20
i'd either get an ultrabay frame into which you can plug the old harddisk o=
r=20
get an external USB enclosure, then boot with an install CD, create on the=
=20
new harddisk all the partitions that you need/had on your old one, mount th=
e=20
new partitions, mount the old harddisk as read-only and then copy your stuf=
f=20
over (i tend to use rsync for that).

the USB route might be painful if your T23 doesn't have USB 2.0 support: th=
en=20
it will be a rather sloooooooooooooooooooooow process, in that case the=20
ultrabay frame is the solution.

> Who would you suggest I take my computer to, if I wasn't going to do the =
=A0
> replacement myself?

have a look around in you city whether there are any shops that "do" linux.=
=2E.

	cheers,
	dirk

=2D-=20
Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
	hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/
       PGP key: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/contact/PGP
  PGP Fingerprint: 983C 48E7 0A78 A313 401C  C4AD 3C0A 278E 6431 A149
	     Email only authentic if signed with PGP key.

Appended to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.