[ltp] what to use to save battery

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:46:53 +0200

Martin Lorenz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 08:11:39PM +0200, Florian Manschwetus wrote:
>> Andrew Barr wrote:
[...]
>> no problem here (t60) and for cpu throttling forget userspace deamons
>> just use ondemand or powersave governor of kernel powermanagement.
>
> I just played around with the governors and found out, that the powersave
> and the performance governor makt my system hang on suspend.
>
> it does not properly suspend when one of those is active. the others are ok.
>
> I think I rememer having read a bugreport on this issue but I can't find it
> again.

Hi,

I use a slightly modified version "cpuspeed" daemon, and shut it down
prior to suspend. The reason is that a while back I noticed that the
ACPI core gets confused when the cpu speed is set to 600MHz, and it
comes back from suspend-to-disk (suspend2), where the ACPI core usually
"thinks" that the cpu is running at full speed. So I gave in and now
kill the daemon before suspend and restart afterwards.

Actually, the cpuspeed daemon needed some modification as it could not
properly restore the frequency settings. But that's an easy task...

Ah, and while we are at power saving, I disable the wireless adapter
(unload the modules and firmware) when it is not in use...

Regards,
Ulrich