[ltp] Wireless switch on (newer?) thinkpads (e.g. z61p)

Johannes Boy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:40:49 +0200

Theres indeed such a directory.
-> Load the module with switch off: directory not there
-> Load the module with switch on: direcotry is there
Which doesnt really help in my case, because I stumpled over some
strange freezes when I played around with the modules/daemon & the
NetworkManager-gnome stuff shipped with FC5.(Keyboard did not respond,
mouse did, X-server was froozen) I wasnt really able to reproduce
those freezes on a regular basis, but seems it happens sometimes when
you load the module/start the daemon, the switch is off and the gnome
applet is running.
Now, the way such errors work is that they come up when you just
worked for 1 hour without saving ;p
Sooo, I wanted to prevent the module/daemon from beeing loaded if the
switch is off.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand:
The eth1/device directory is a link to another folder:
$ ls -al device
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 21. Sep 16:30 device ->
../../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:03:00.0
Hence, one can directly go to this "directory", even if the switch is
off and read the value in rf_kill.
However, the exact adress will vary from PC to PC, so I gotta figure
out a way to find the folder using the commands availibe in
bin/bash... and I *hate* programming in the bash :(

Anyway, thanks a lot for the information!

P.S.
Michael, did you experience similar freezes on your machine?