[ltp] Which distro will have the best ThinkPad (T60) support?

Johannes Boy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:11:55 +0200

Well, I never tried Ubuntu, but I installed SuSE 10.1 on my z61p the other day.
Everything looked good on the first boot, even WLAN was up and
running. Also, they had some x11 module for my display, was called
LNOVO something. Maybe it included some better support for power
saving than the "generic lcd" I have to use under FC5, but I can't
tell for sure because I installed the ATI drivers. On the next boot,
linux didn't start because it was missing the modules for the
trackpoint and touchpad o_O

But either way, I'm afraid you need to recompile the kernel on both
system to make the USB subsystem a module and unload it on
hibernate/sleep... I guess every distro compiles this stuff straight
into the kernel and in most cases it will mess up the hibernation.

Also, the ATI driver will be as lame on Suse as they will be on
Ubuntu. So some tweaking in that direction will be needed on both
systems.

So in the end it all comes down to support. And from spending endless
hours with my good old friend google it seems that Ubuntu has more
support forums, mailing lists etc.