[ltp] 380XD upgrading.

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:55:28 -0400

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 18:13 +0100, cloakable wrote:
> My old 380XD broke, but I've found a new one on eBay. My main question before
> I buy it is how upgradable they are. Do they have any means for me to add
> something like a miniPCI card, a new CPU, etc. I know the maximum RAM is
> 96Mb, and I'm going to fit a 40Gb HDD, but what else is upgradable?

The CPU is on a card, so it *might* be upgradable if you could find a
card with a faster processor, but I don't think you'd be able to do much
else with it.  A 40GB hard drive should work fine - I once installed
Fedora onto a laptop with no external/internal drives (and no USB
booting) by swapping the 40GB drive into my old 380XD for the install.

The real problem with the 380XD is RAM.  96MB pretty well means that
using it with modern desktops is out.  For what it's worth, my 380XD
runs 24/7 and has done so for some time now, running a webcam.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com