[ltp] Re: Which distro will have the best ThinkPad (T60) support?

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:58:57 -0400

"Johannes Boy" <teilzeitstudent@googlemail.com> writes:

> Well, I never tried Ubuntu, but I installed SuSE 10.1 on my z61p the other day.
> Everything looked good on the first boot, even WLAN was up and
> running. Also, they had some x11 module for my display, was called
> LNOVO something. Maybe it included some better support for power
> saving than the "generic lcd" I have to use under FC5, but I can't
> tell for sure because I installed the ATI drivers. On the next boot,
> linux didn't start because it was missing the modules for the
> trackpoint and touchpad o_O

And my problem with SuSE was that within minutes of having installed
it, I had put the package manager into a state of confusion.  That's
simply unacceptable to me.  Ubuntu's package management, with the use
of checkinstall and other tools, has been really solid for me.

> But either way, I'm afraid you need to recompile the kernel on both
> system to make the USB subsystem a module and unload it on
> hibernate/sleep... I guess every distro compiles this stuff straight
> into the kernel and in most cases it will mess up the hibernation.
>
> Also, the ATI driver will be as lame on Suse as they will be on
> Ubuntu. So some tweaking in that direction will be needed on both
> systems.
>
> So in the end it all comes down to support. And from spending endless
> hours with my good old friend google it seems that Ubuntu has more
> support forums, mailing lists etc.

That's been key in my decision to use Ubuntu on my T60p.  Yes, I have
recompiled the kernel, though.  I think if you want really up-to-date
laptop support, you'll need to do that (even if USB is a module)

If it's any help, I'd be very happy to band together with a group of
T60/Ubuntu users to share the steps required for a stellar laptop
experience.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting