[ltp] ADS Tech InstantMusic under Linux?

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:12:50 -0700 (MST)

Just got an ADS Tech InstantMusic USB interface to use for "ripping" audio
cassettes and vinyl records to digital files. The hardware is allegedly
Linux compatible, but there seems to be no guidance on how to actually
use it under Linux.

When I plug it into a USB port on my Thinkpad A31 (FC5, kernel 2.6.15),
it's recognized, according to 'dmesg':

  usb 5-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
  input: Burr-Brown from TI
  USB Audio CODEC  as /class/input/input2
  input: USB HID v1.00 Device [Burr-Brown from TI
  USB Audio CODEC ] on usb-0000:03:00.1-1
  usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio

And, in /dev, the following new devices are registered:
  mixer2
  audio2
  dsp2

So, how to record sound? Simply a cat /dev/dsp2 > soundfile.wav? Or what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mendel