[ltp] [Thinkpad X31] Fan speed = 0

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 03 Apr 2007 13:55:27 -0400

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 00:32 +0900, Maxime DANIS wrote:
> Hello Everybody.

> I have the feeling that the fan(s) of my thinkpad X31 is/are never used?

My wife and I both use X31s, and we have noticed that the machines
simply run cool enough to not need their fan running continuously.  That
is one reason we like the machines.  They are very quiet.

You should notice that the fan will run when you first power on the
machine (while you're going through the IBM startup screen), and when
you use a CPU-intensive application for several minutes.  Otherwise,
it's quiet.

>  * In case 2, Is it related to CPU governors?

I notice that the fan on my X31 almost never stays on with the powersave
governor, provided the room temperature is reasonable.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com