[ltp] Issues with t23 debian etch netinst

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:02:21 +0200

Hello,

> I'm reluctant to risk an upgrade of the bios because (1) if it goes
> wrong my thinkpad could be an expensive paper-weight, and (2) as a blind
> person I can't work on the bios without sighted help.

a very good thing and solves a lot of problems.

> 3. I'm also getting little noises from this computer that I didn't get
> before--don't know if that's due to the netinst or not.

Very high pitched noises cutting in and out with a little click ? It only
happens on a idle system ? Thats the 2.6.X kernel. Newer linux kernels use
a different timming. That reduces latency but also may cause noise. IMHO
the
best way to solve this is described here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises#Change_the_timer_interrupt_frequency

Good luck.