[ltp] starting out with suspend/hibernate

Jon Escombe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:36:30 +0100

Peter Matulis wrote:
> Thanks, after making that adjustment to grub's menu.lst and hitting
> Fn-F4 it goes to sleep and the moon led blinks.  When hitting the same
> keystroke again, however, I get the characters "inu" near the top-left
> of my screen (in yellow colour).  When I moved my mouse it went back to
> sleep for good (could not wake up).
>
> Any idea where I should go with this?
>
> Peter

In my experience the garbage characters ("inu" in your case) on the
screen are normal, at least for a couple of seconds until everything
comes back to life. My T60 has the ATI graphics so can't help you
directly with Intel issues, but there were two things I did to get a
smooth suspend/resume.

1) acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode in my grub.conf
2) tweaked the acpi scripts to ensure the ondemand cpu scaling
    governor was disabled for suspend/resume. There is/was an
    issue with this oopsing at resume time.

If you're not sure where it's failing, it can be useful to go right back
to a single user text console, and assuming that works - start adding
drivers and X until it goes wrong.

HTH,
Jon.