[ltp] lenovo to provide linux support?

Tue, 7 Aug 2007 13:29:58 -0300

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007, Frank Fiene wrote:
> Is there any documentation how to change from thinkpad-keys to this
> input device?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  Change thinkpad-keys to do what?

> BTW, powertop does not like thinkpad-acpi, too many wakups!
> Are you working on this?

Yes, but not for the A3x hot keys, that would require some painful changes
to the key map that are of use only to A3x users.  They will have to keep
using thinkpad-keys or tpb.

Still, doing the NVRAM polling inside thinkpad-acpi will just make powertop
NOT like thinkpad-acpi :-)  There is nothing wrong with thinkpad-keys as
long as you really need to use NVRAM polling to know a key state.

However, if you have a T43 or a Lenovo laptop, you should be able to get all
keys without the need for thinkpad-keys or any polling.  Get the latest
thinkpad-acpi from ibm-acpi.sf.net, and go poke the HAL people to know how
to use the thinkpad-acpi input device.

If you have other thinkpads, some DSDT hacking might well enable them to get
most hot keys without thinkpad-keys as well. Depends on the EC firmware, so
good luck.

  Henrique Holschuh