[ltp] Disabling press_to_select while typing

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:53:54 -0400

I recently discovered the
/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/press_to_select configuration and
find it very attractive, except for two problems:
1 - I occasionally hit the trackpoint while typing, causing havoc.
2 - occasionally the increased pressure applied when wanting to move the
    cursor gets misinterpreted as a button press.  This typically happens
    when a window gets opened and my window-manager asks me to place it:
    I clearly do not "hit" the trackpoint: I first touch it gently, and then
    push it to move, but it seems the change from one to the other is
    misinterpreted.

To solve 1, it would be enough to disable the click if a key was pressed
within the last fraction of a second.  Does anybody know of a tool that
does that?  I guess it could be more generic and simply kill any mouse-click
(whether it comes from the trackpoint, touchpad or mouse) if it comes right
after a key press.

To solve 2, I guess I have to play with the trackpoint driver's settings,
but I can't see any that can help.  Even if I set "thresh" high enough that
causing clicks becomes difficult, the problem still occasionally happens.
I guess the right way to filter out the false positives would be to make
sure that the pressure increased steadily from "zero" rather than first
going from 0 to "gentle" and to start increasing only a bit later.

        Stefan