[ltp] T61, Intel video, FC6 = widescreen troubles

Andrew J. Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 00:53:54 -0400

> Monitor switching probably isn't supported by the vesa driver; you may
> need fglrx/radeon to do it (assuming you have an ati card). However, the
> vesa driver should support the native LCD resolution with no trouble.

Richard, I'm assuming you didn't read the subject line of this thread. :P

To the OP: I just want to tell you I have a T61 with a 965GM chipset
and it works perfectly in Debian sid with 1680x1050 video, full 3D,
the works. So it _can_ be made to work. I don't know exactly what your
specific problem is, but a bug related to external video output was
fixed in xf86-video-intel 2.1.1. Perhaps you should upgrade?

Configuring external outputs and their properties (such as resolution)
is now handled by xrandr 1.2. As this protocol revision was the
brainchild of an Intel employee, naturally the intel graphics driver
was the first to support it. It's very easy to use, no X restart
required, and there's even a handy GUI called grandr these days. I
don't know about Fedora Core 6, but Fedora 7 should almost certainly
support XRandR 1.2.