[ltp] cancel out HD noise

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:09:56 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:57:02AM +0200, Gilson Laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> The only noise comming from my R51 is the HD spinning. I already replaced=
 the loud default FJS-model with a more slient model. But the low hum still=
 drives me crazy. Now i wonder if stuffing foam around the HD will dampen t=
he noise.
>=20
> Anyone tried this ? Did it reduce the noise ? Did the HD die from the hea=
t ?
>=20
> Note: i cannot afford a real SSD option, nor can i work with a small CF-t=
hing. I need 80GB for my work.
>=20
> Thanks
I run laptop mode and it is very effective. I can usually let my hard=20
drive spin up only once every 20 minutes for about 10 seconds. However,=20
during the time when I run laptop mode, I mainly browse the web and do=20
things over ssh session. So I don't really know how well it works if you=20
have to constantly write to the disk during your work. I have a T43.

If you choose to wrap a foam around the HD, you need to seriously=20
consider the heat dissipation issue: head dissipation is already limited=20
in the cramped laptop space, and heat pose a serious threat to laptop=20
reliabilities. You might want to monitor your drive temperature using=20
hddtemp---there's a plugin for gkrellm if you use that. (I know frequent=20
spin up will also wear out drive, but I think every 20 minutes is=20
probably fine.)
Jiang