[ltp] Re: T61 volume permanently muted

Owen Heisler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:59:40 -0500

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Thu, 2007.08.30 10:37, Owen Heisler wrote:
> I was trying to get more of the special keys working and noticed the volu=
me
> buttons.  Up/down didn't work, but mute seemed to: no sound at all.  I pr=
essed
> it again to unmute, but that didn't work.  Nothing does.  I restarted and=
 ran
> alsaconf again, which does still detect the card.  But aplay doesn't seem=
 to be
> able to find the card:
>=20
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:769:(parse_card) cannot find card ''
> ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver=
 returned error: No such device
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
> ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat retu=
rned error: No such device
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
> ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer retur=
ned error: No such device
> ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such device
>=20
> alsamixer doesn't work now either, though before I restarted I checked it=
 and
> nothing was muted.

Well, I restarted again, and then alsamixer and aplay worked, though with no
sound.  I hit the VolumeUp button, and then it worked.  Okay.  So the Mute
button seems now to mute at the hardware level, and not unmute when pressed
again.  VolumeDown does nothing.  VolumeUp simply unmutes.  The Mute button
didn't cause the ALSA problems this time as before.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--