[ltp] R61 touchpad not recognized in Ubuntu

Ugo Riboni linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:54:55 +0100

> > > Ugo, I just used the default configuration from readme.alps for synaptics [cut]
> >
> > I am still stuck on the problem that causes the 3 buttons above the
> > touchpad to not work properly.
> > I found out the following, in the meantime:
> > - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move touchpad, hold is lost
> > - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move trackpoint, hold is maintained
> > - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move touchpad,
> > hold is maintained
> > - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move trackpoint,
> > hold is lost
>
> It seems to be a kernel bug, since xev reports "buttons 1 pressed" for
> both left buttons. I've tried to improve trackpoint and touchpad's
> behavior by editing xorg.org with no success.

Maybe they should not both generate "button1" presses, but that
doesn't seem to be the cause of my issue.

However you gave me the idea to try xev to see what events are
generated, and what I see is the following:

- hold down one of the 3 buttons and move trackpoint:
- hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move touchpad:

ButtonPress (button 1) -> MotionNotify
(when i later actually release the button, i get  ButtonRelease (button 1))

This is correct. However when i do the following combinations, here's
what happens:

- hold down one of the 3 buttons and move touchpad:
- hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move trackpoint:

ButtonPress (button 1) -> ButtonRelease (button 1) -> MotionNotify
(when i later actually release the button, i get no event at all)

Any clue what may generate the spurious ButtonRelease event in the first case ?
--
Ugo