[ltp] CPU temperature on T61

Angel Olivera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:47:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hello.

I've had this notebook for 3 months now, and it's been one week that I
start noticing it a lot warmer than ever.

For example, when the CPU is 99%+ of the time in C3 state for a couple
of hours, the temperature doesn't even go below 60 degrees and
tp-fancontrol sets the fan to level 4.

When the CPU is ~50% of the time in C0, the fan goes to level 7 but
still the temperature is above 70 degrees, sometimes reaching 95 (is
that even possible?).

When having the fan control disengaged:
- if the CPU is mostly idle it never goes below 58 degrees, when
  previously this could be 48 or 50.
- if the processor is more than 40% of the time in running state, the
  temperature is about 58 degrees.

I've tested this under linux 2.6.23+thinkpad-acpi-0.18-20071112,
2.6.23.9+thinkpad-acpi-0.18-20071112 and
2.6.24-rc5+thinkpad-acpi-0.18-20071203.

According to Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (the thinkpad-acpi maintainer),
this looks like a hardware failure. But perhaps somebody on the list has
some input that might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

--
redondos