[ltp] HDAPS and drives that can't park & can you park 2 drives (main+ultraybay)?

Fri, 28 Dec 2007 00:37:47 -0200

> Correct, the stock drive is in the ultrabay, and the boot drive is a new
> drive. It looks like it's hard to find if park will work with a given
> third party drive before buying it :-/

Indeed, it is.

> Just curious about this: does it mean that all drives support some kind
> of head parking, but that the command is different, and the current
> kernel doesn't know what the right unload command for each drive is?

No, some drivers have UNLOAD IMMEDIATE support, while others don't. And many
which do don't announce it properly (especially if it is a firmware
patch...)

> If so, any idea where I'm likely to find new unload command patches
> now, or in the future?

*If* it is a drive that Lenovo ships (i.e. same model *and* firmware
family), you may luck out and find that you can coax the Lenovo firmware to
install into it.  Look at the foruns at thinkpads.com (I think).

Otherwise, get a drive which does APS by itself (there are some, sorry I
don't know which ones, but I believe the latest Seagate ones do so. Ask
around), or try to replace it with a drive known to support UNLOAD
IMMEDIATE...

  Henrique Holschuh