[ltp] The zen of power saving, still 21.4W on Thinpad Z61p :(

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:26:53 -0500

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 08:10:22PM +0100, Laurent Gilson wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> This prodded me to look into the humongous power usage of my Z61p some
>> more, and here are all the details I found, along with a plea for more
>> suggestions and help :)
>
> Does the CPU voltage-scaling work? Your CPU should switch to a lower
> voltage if a lower frequency is used. check=20
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
> for more information.
>
> Try fixing the frequency at 1GHz. It will hurt performance... but you will
> not notice it in office. The > 600 switchs from 1GHz to 2GHz are a real=
=20
> killer
> and should be avoided.
>
>> This is way higher than most people, and I'm envious of Ted's 10W or
>> less :-/
>
> 9.5 - 10.5W with WLAN here (R51). ~13W is normal.

The Nvidia based *61s idle MUCH higher than others.  20W is about
normal.  Try the latest bios images - I noticed they seemed to let me
save ~3W or so, so by dropping the brightness I can often get down to
17W and change usage on a T61.  Other than that, the nvidia card just
uses a lot of power and I haven't heard of any good ways to resolve
that.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

George Orwell got it backward.
Big Brother isn't watching.  He's singing and dancing.  He's pulling rabbits
out of a hat.  Big Brother's busy holding your attention every moment you're
awake.  He's making sure you're always distracted.  He's making sure you're
fully absorbed.
He's making sure your imagination withers.  Until it's as useful as your
appendix.  He's making sure your attention is always filled.
	-- Chuck Palahniuk

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S

--z4+8/lEcDcG5Ke9S--