[ltp] The zen of power saving, still 21.4W on Thinpad Z61p :(

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:10:22 +0100

Hello,

> This prodded me to look into the humongous power usage of my Z61p some
> more, and here are all the details I found, along with a plea for more
> suggestions and help :)

Does the CPU voltage-scaling work? Your CPU should switch to a lower
voltage if a lower frequency is used. check
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
for more information.

Try fixing the frequency at 1GHz. It will hurt performance... but you will
not notice it in office. The > 600 switchs from 1GHz to 2GHz are a real
killer
and should be avoided.

> This is way higher than most people, and I'm envious of Ted's 10W or
> less :-/

9.5 - 10.5W with WLAN here (R51). ~13W is normal.

cu