[ltp] Problems with ipw3945 & wpa_supplicant (Thinkpad z61m - 9450-HAG)

Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:13:00 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Michael Gaber wrote:

> bhaskins@chartermi.net schrieb:
>>  ---- Hamie <hamish@travellingkiwi.com> wrote:
>> >  Has anyone had wpa_supplicant working with an ipw3945 card and WPA
>> >  encryption?
>> >
>> >  I have a thinkpad z61m, core2Duo 2GB memory. WIth ipw3945 wireless. The
>> >  ipw3945 software is version 1.1.3 and I'm running vanilla kernel
>> >  2.6.19.1, on a gentoo amd64 build.
>> >
>> >  With no encryption I can connect to my access point (A linksys 54g -
>> >  also my neighbours who runs without encryption for some reason :), but
>> >  if I enable WPA with ether AES or TKIP with a shared key, then
>> >  wpa_supplicant just sits & spins forever, seeming to fail the
>> >  authuentication... retrying, failing, retrying etc. The access point is
>> >  able to be used from other machines (Windoze & Linux, e.g. z60m and a
>> >  nokia 770) with WPA without any problems more than the normal ones.
>> >
>> >  The only other access point i really have to test the ipw3945 against
>> >  with encryption also fails... But it doesn't work with the Nokia 770
>> >  either, so I blame the cisco stuff they have running on it (It require
>> >  specific cisco software versions even on the windoze boxes, so I'm not
>> >  hopeful there).
>> >
>> >  So... The wpa_supplicant config file just has
>> >
>> >  network={
>> >      ssid="MYSSID"
>> >      proto=WPA
>> >      key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>> > #     pairwise=TKIP
>> > #     group=TKIP
>> >      psk="PSKPassword"
>> >      priority=2
>>> }
>> >
>> >   and version is
>> >
>> >  thunderstruck ~ # wpa_supplicant -v
>> >  wpa_supplicant v0.5.7
>> >  Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@cc.hut.fi> and
>> >  contributors
>> >  thunderstruck ~ #
>> >

>> >  in it... It can see the access point... Sigh...
>> >
>> >  Any ideas?
>> >

>>  Do iwconfig to find out what your wireless is,
>>  probably eth1.
>>
>>  Then do:
>>  dhclient eth1
>>
>>  Using eth1 or whatever iwconfig listed.
>>

> wenn if WPA_supplicant won't connect it may be because the program doesn't
> want the key in plaintext
> try connecting via wpa_gui or use the tool for generating the password from
> the psk which was shipped with wpa_supplicant
> (i personally use gentoo amd64 and use it with wpa2 at home with ccmp (i
> think) and with some fancy corporate wpa-stuff at the university)
> equery f wpa_supplicant under gentoo shows all files

Can you do manually (iwconfig, ifconfig) what WPA_supplicant would do? It
might help narrow the problem  down.

The previous comment about plaintext keys reminded me that I read somewhere (I
think) that some drivers don't like that either.

Might explore turning up the debug level on dhclient, to see where exactly
it's failing.