[ltp] ibm_acpi and Fn-F3 etc don't work

Daniel Maier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:28:05 +0100

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:39:24AM +0200, Lari Karreinen wrote:
> I'm quite a newbie with Kubuntu 6.06 on my Thinkpad a22p and wondering ho=
w to get special keys work, e.g. Fn-F3, Fn-F7 with ibm_acpi. Fn and F3 shou=
ld blank the screen, Fn and F7 should enable the external display etc.=20
>=20
> These are the two things I would need the most. Now I have to boot to bac=
k to windows in order to use for example dataprojector.=20
>=20
> I've read the instructions, but I would need a more specific help. I've f=
ollowed instructions from http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux=
-thinkpad/2004-December/022325.html
>=20
I have never seen this kind of config. Have a look at
/usr/share/doc/acpid/examples/*
> I added these lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>=20
> Code:
> modprobe ibm_acpi
> echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> echo 0x1003 > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
You can use /etc/modprobe.d/ibm-acpi:
 options ibm_acpi experimental=3D1 hotkey=3Denable,0xffff

and echo ibm-acpi >>/etc/modules
>=20
> Created config file /etc/acpi/events/ Fn-F3.conf
Try to use lowercase, might prevent some mistakes.
>=20
> Code:
> event=3Dibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001003 action=3Dsh /etc/acpi/actions/F=
n-F3.sh
>=20
Have a look at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_acpid

For example in /etc/acpi/events/fn:
 event=3Dbutton/hotkey
 action=3D/etc/acpi/fn %e

and in /etc/acpi/fn
 #!/bin/sh
 if [ $4 =3D 00001003 ]; then
 	run_some_cmd
 fi

And dont forget to make the action script executable.

Regards, Daniel.

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--