[ltp] R60: eth0 down when cable is pulled

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:25:59 +0100

Someone just called me and told me that whenever he pulls the network
cable from an R60, then the network interface goes down.  I promised him
to ask on this mailing list.  Sorry, I only have somewhat vague details.

For example, given that eth0 is assigned IP 192.168.0.5:

* He can ping 192.168.0.5 locally, if the network cable is inserted.

* If the network cable is removed, then pinging 192.168.0.5 locally
  doesn't work.  This is not what he wants.  The IP 192.168.0.5 should
  always be reachable locally.

What may be the cause of the problem/feature?

I've never experienced this problem, but I don't have an R60.  Some
details about the machine in question:

* OS: SUSE 10.2

* Product ID: 9461-5FG

--