[ltp] Re: T23 hard lockups

Anthony J Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:15:16 -0500

On Monday 01 January 2007 13:48, Dale Amon wrote:
> I switched from a T22 to a T23 last summer and have been
> seeing occasional lockups which require popping the battery
> and pulling the plug. Although this used to happen at
> very long intervals on the T22 (seemingly X windows related),
> it happens more often and with occasional dire consequences
> on the T23.
>
> As an example, last night I was watching a movie using
> totem and had to pull the power and cold start about
> 4 times in the course of the movie. This is far more than
> I would see in normal use.
>
> Twice I have had the hard drive get so confused that
> I could not boot off it. I believe I may have gotten
> it to work again by taking it out of the machine and
> waiting awhile for it to forget whatever strange state
> it had gotten into during the lockup and ensuing
> pulling out of the power cord.....
Is it possible you are having a heat problem? I had a problem with a T20 when
the fan stopped working properly that caused this type of behavior.  You may
want to open the unit and make sure no dust is collecting on any of the major
components which could be causing them to over heat.

The other thing to check is to make sure you actually are using a T20 power
cord.  IBM actually produced at least two separate power cords with the same
plug on the end.  One is more powerful than the other, and if you are using
the higher powered cord on the older laptop you could be causing a problem.
We noticed this problem when we were using a T20 power cord on a T40 which
needed the higher power output.

Another option if it ends up being heat, is to get one of those fan tables
that you can place the laptop on and has a fan in it that pulls heat away
from the laptop.  I use one of these with my Z61M when I am compiling stuff
to make it more pleasant to have the thing on my lap.