[ltp] Re: T23 hard lockups

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:27:19 +0000

Anthony J Moulen wrote:

>On Monday 01 January 2007 13:48, Dale Amon wrote:
>

>>I switched from a T22 to a T23 last summer and have been
>>seeing occasional lockups which require popping the battery
>>and pulling the plug. Although this used to happen at
>>very long intervals on the T22 (seemingly X windows related),
>>it happens more often and with occasional dire consequences
>>on the T23.
>>
>>As an example, last night I was watching a movie using
>>totem and had to pull the power and cold start about
>>4 times in the course of the movie. This is far more than
>>I would see in normal use.
>>
>>Twice I have had the hard drive get so confused that
>>I could not boot off it. I believe I may have gotten
>>it to work again by taking it out of the machine and
>>waiting awhile for it to forget whatever strange state
>>it had gotten into during the lockup and ensuing
>>pulling out of the power cord.....
>>

>Is it possible you are having a heat problem? I had a problem with a T20 when
>the fan stopped working properly that caused this type of behavior.  You may
>want to open the unit and make sure no dust is collecting on any of the major
>components which could be causing them to over heat.
>
>The other thing to check is to make sure you actually are using a T20 power
>cord.  IBM actually produced at least two separate power cords with the same
>plug on the end.  One is more powerful than the other, and if you are using
>the higher powered cord on the older laptop you could be causing a problem.
>We noticed this problem when we were using a T20 power cord on a T40 which
>needed the higher power output.
>
>Another option if it ends up being heat, is to get one of those fan tables
>that you can place the laptop on and has a fan in it that pulls heat away
>from the laptop.  I use one of these with my Z61M when I am compiling stuff
>to make it more pleasant to have the thing on my lap.

Another poster suggested it might be a heat related problem.
It also might be a damp/ humidity/ temperature of environment problem.
Many laptops IF they have been in a fluctuating humidity/tremperature
environment will gradually over a period of months get corrosion
building up on contact areas.
 you might just try unplugging all periferals, like hard drive, memory,
cd rom keyboard and reseating the processor. Do look up the maintenance
manual first if your not familiar with stipping down laptops.
Take your time have alarge table with good light on it. Get the right
tools to unscrew everything. Also lay out each component in an orderly
progressive line .
 Reassembly is the reverse or take digital images.
Just unplugging and replugging will clear most surface corrosion, the
sort you cant see.
 If you can see it then its best left to alaptop speciallist.
Keep us posted howyou get on.
Laptops like ir dry, non humid,  a steady power supply. an even
temperature and dust free.
Ive fixed many laptops byt just doing the above.