[ltp] Kdrive x server?

Tue, 09 Jan 2007 03:23:20 +0000

cloakable wrote:
> I would like to use this server in place of X.org on my thinkpad 240, but I'm
> not sure A: Where to get it, and B: How to compile it :) I'm trying to slim
> down the apps on my laptop, and X.org is consuming 40GB on boot.

If you're just trying to make X smaller, you'll find that judicious use
of "rm -r" (and "du -sh *") will save you a lot of time. Keep a backup
of everything, in case you mess it up. And note that you'll be bypassing
your package manager. BUT, most of X consists of drivers and fonts which
you probably don't need.

I presume you mean 40MB ?

Also, do you actually mean RAM use or do you mean disk space?

If you meant RAM use, then are you aware that `top` doesn't always give
you a helpful answer to the question "How much RAM is a process using?".

HTH,

Richard