[ltp] Kdrive x server?

cloakable linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 03:37:05 +0000

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 03:23, Richard Neill wrote:
> If you're just trying to make X smaller, you'll find that judicious use
> of "rm -r" (and "du -sh *") will save you a lot of time. Keep a backup
> of everything, in case you mess it up. And note that you'll be bypassing
> your package manager. BUT, most of X consists of drivers and fonts which
> you probably don't need.
Yeah, but will that get me down to the sort of sizes kdrive will? There's
probably a reason DSL uses it as the default windowmanager.

> I presume you mean 40MB ?
Yeah, my typo.

> Also, do you actually mean RAM use or do you mean disk space?
>
> If you meant RAM use, then are you aware that `top` doesn't always give
> you a helpful answer to the question "How much RAM is a process using?".
True, but I just use it as a guide to find the biggest programs, so I can try
to find smaller replacements. I'm running in 128MB RAM, with 4 to memory. I'm
going to upgrade it, but I see no reason to waste memory on 320MB either :)
(On my 2GB RAM desktop, OTOH... :P)