[ltp] Fan-questions again...

Benjamin Buch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:23:39 +0100

Greetings to the list!

Got my R52 1846-AQG since christmas, running ubuntu edgy.
I think I love the tp, only thing that annoys me is the fan noise (as I
read on thinkwiki I'm not the only one...)

I know, perhaps I'm a little picky, and reading all those
tp-is-to-loud-posts you find on the net didn't help to get used to the
sound as well.

What I did to lower the noise:

-undervoltet Pentium M
-underclocked ATI x300 with fglrx

Questions that remain:

-why does the fan start at rather cool temperatures?
CPU ~43° (I'm using gnome sensors applet to read it).

-with the underclocking, the CPU-temperature usually doesn't rise above
56 - 57° when not under load (with the fan disabled). Isn't that cool
enough? I don't mind the tp being noisy when under load, but I
definitely do when it's not.

-what exactly does the MiniPCI-contoller control? With the fan off, this
temperature rises very slowly to ~55°, and when the fan is turned on
again it decreases significantly slower than all the other temperatures.

-why are there different fan speeds within the same speed level?
The fan noise seems okay to me when the fan speed drops below 3120 RPM.
This occurs not very often; the only times that happened were when I
turned on the tp-fancontol script while the fan was running at about
3950 RPM. The script switched the fan to level 1, and it stayed at ~3115
RPM.

-is there a way to lower the fan speed except changing levels?

-is the auto-mode in ibm-acpi 0.13 that comes with kernel 2.6.20 the
same auto-mode programmed by Yury Polyanskiy? (Where you can set min and
max temperature thresholds)
http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2005-November/030697.html

-first thing I did was a firmware-upgrade. My impression is that since
then the tp is more noisy than before. Would it be a good idea to
"downgrade" firmware? (I have my doubts...)

Regards,

Benjamin