[ltp] Re: Z61p/Z61m experiences needed

Anthony J Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:26:03 -0500

On Sunday 14 January 2007 18:20, Richard Neill wrote:
> Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> > George Ruinelli wrote:
> >> Hello all
> >>
> >> I want to buy a new thinkpad and doesn't know which one is the best.
> >> In the selection are the Z61p (UA1J6SG) and the Z61m (UA19JS{G,F,E})
> >>
> >> The Z61m's seem to be well supported on linux, while I can't find many
> >> informations about the Z61p in the www.
> >>
> >> Because the battery longevity  and the RAM, I would prefer the Z61p.
>
> I'd recommend the T60p instead - the 15" 1600x1200 screen is brilliant,
> and it has the same area as the (allegedly bigger) "widescreen" 17"
> display of the Z60s. My T60p works very well indeed with Ubuntu 6.10.

I own a Z61M, but an older model than you are looking at, mine has the core
dou with a 2ghz process.  My suggestion is buy a machine as it is stocked, if
you want more memory buy it separately as you will pay an arm and a leg for
them to install it and it is very easy to do yourself.  But as the previous
poster mentioned, I would suggest the T60P with the widescreen display, it
really has most of the features of the Z61 and is lighter.  If I had the
choice months ago when I bought mine I would have gone with the T60
widescreen.

I have suspend2 both ram and disk, although ram seems to eventually corrupt
itself in KDE and I lose KDE apps.  I had the fingerprint reader working but
not in a way that I found it useful so I disabled it in Linux, I do use it
for windows the 3 times I have booted windows since October.  I don't have
bluetooth in my machine yet, although I intend to buy the part and try to
install it assuming that the antenna is there.  I can't say I have tried Xgl
yet because I am too lazy ;-).  Definitely go with a Core 2 Dou device not a
Core Dou, it makes no sense to get the 32bit version now if you are even
considering keeping the windows partition around as you won't get all the
features of Vista without 64bit.

Good luck on your purchase.