[ltp] Re: Z61p/Z61m experiences needed

Johannes Boy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:42:02 +0100

Well, I brought a z61p a while ago and I had nothing but troubles with
it  (on Fedora Core 5 & 6). But then again, I'm not really experienced
with linux so maybe thats the trouble...
Anyway, some points:
- The ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 is nothing but trouble. You have to
use the ATI driver because the opensource driver does not support it
yet (maybe it works with a little "force", not sure)
- I couldn't get suspend2 to work, not sure why. Prolly my own fault
for not wanting to mess with the settings for a couple of days
- The notebook itself isn't too well manufactured... especially the
monitor was attached a bit sloppy. By now, it sometimes makes funny
sounds when opening/closing. Seems to be a bit loose. Also, apparently
I have some sort of overheating problem with the CPUs so I'll have to
send it in for repairs, but I can't because of my studies.

Looking back, I should have brought an older model, back from the days
when Lenovo didn't mess everything up ;-p