[ltp] recovery partition useful? (was Re: Installed Grub...)

Igor V. Rafienko linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:58:57 +0100 (MET)

---559023410-844097318-1169236737=:14652

on Jan 19, 2007, 11:20, Paul Fox wrote:

[ ... ]

> so, show of hands -- has anyone successfully restored their machine
> using the ibm recovery partition on (any) thinkpad?

Well, now I have tried that restore option too. I could boot into linux=20
about 1 hour after I started.

The R&R restore did something (not quite sure what, though) to /var, and=20
it had to be fsck'ed (without any adverse consequences, it seems). When I=
=20
resized the ntfs partition, ntfsresize mentioned moving one inode that=20
clearly was out of the first 25GB that I set aside for windows. So that=20
inode did overwrite something (not sure what though :)). The data on /var=
=20
seem to be ok. Similar things happened when I recoved from DVDs. The=20
recovery process does overwrite something. I am just not sure what,=20
exactly.

Obviously, there is a definite possibility for screwing things real bad=20
here. But it /seems/ to have worked (in the sense "windows is fine, and my=
=20
gentoo installation survived").

> have you done so after installing linux, which presumably shoved the=20
> existing partitions and boot records around somewhat?

That would be "yes".

ivr
--=20
hvilket betyder at sprogdefinitionen tillader overs=E6tteren at g=F8re
hvadsomhelst med den, inklusive overs=E6tte den til kode der f=E5r sm=E5
nisser til at danse rundt om sk=E6rmen og r=E5be ukvemsord ad programm=F8re=
n.
 =09=09-- Henning Makholm om "undefined behaviour"
---559023410-844097318-1169236737=:14652--