[ltp] recovery partition useful? (was Re: Installed Grub...)

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:04:55 -0500

 =

 > about 1 hour after I started.

excellent -- thanks!  whether or not linux continues to run after
the restore isn't much of an issue for me -- i would only do the
restore in order to really take the machine back to its pristine
state, e.g., before selling it.  it also means that i could probably
reclaim the current XP partition entirely, and still be able to get
it back if need be.

thanks very much for trying that...

paul

 > =

 > The R&R restore did something (not quite sure what, though) to /var, an=
d =

 > it had to be fsck'ed (without any adverse consequences, it seems). When=
 I =

 =

 > inode did overwrite something (not sure what though :)). The data on /v=
ar =

 =

 > here. But it /seems/ to have worked (in the sense "windows is fine, and=
 my =

 > gentoo installation survived").
 > =

 > =

 > > have you done so after installing linux, which presumably shoved the =

 > > existing partitions and boot records around somewhat?
 > =

 > =

 > That would be "yes".
 > =

 > =

 > =

 > =

 > =

 > ivr
 > -- =

 > hvilket betyder at sprogdefinitionen tillader overs=E6tteren at g=F8re
 > hvadsomhelst med den, inklusive overs=E6tte den til kode der f=E5r sm=E5
 > nisser til at danse rundt om sk=E6rmen og r=E5be ukvemsord ad programm=F8=
ren.
 >  		-- Henning Makholm om "undefined behaviour"

 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 32.4 degree=
s)