[ltp] using Gnome power manager t60 suspends once

Paul Fisher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:38:10 -0500

jaime johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been working with Gentoo amd64 on my t60 with merom 1.66Ghz. Same
> basic behavior with 2.6.19-rc6 and the 2.6.19ck sources. One
> complication is the 8.32.5 ati driver I'm using to get the full
> 1400x1050 resolution and use-able graphics. I can suspend and resume
> once from the gnome 2.16 suspend in the gnome-power-manager applet.
> Beautiful, I hit the fn key, it comes up, and everything is back as iI
> left it, except no network, so I rmmod/modprobe ath_pci and restart
> networking and all is well. If I try to do exactly the same thing again
> I get a massive several pages call trace and errors, but the system is
> still there. I alt-function to a console, and I can log in fine. Usually
> if I then alt-f7, there's my gnome session, either just blacked out and
> prompting for login as if it had been suspended (or even if it had
> failed suspend). When I log out of the session from the logout button,
> gdm crashes and cannot be restarted.

I've got a very similar situation with Ubuntu 6.10 (with fglrx driver)
on my T60p (does the P make a difference?) with a Core Duo T2700.
However, rather than working only the *first* time, it's more of a
roulette game, where sometimes it either works or doesn't work.  After a
failed suspend, my wireless card doesn't work, and in order to actually
power off the computer, I need to select Shut Down in the System menu,
then manually kill X with a ctrl+alt+backspace, otherwise it seems to
hang.  I've never actually tried to re-modprobe the wireless card (I
ain't got 'nuff nowladge), but I expect it (an ipw3945) would perform
similarly.

So unfortunately I really have no solution to your problem, but I do
want you to know that you're not the only one in this boat, and that a
solution would help me too :)

Paul