[ltp] Z61p/Z61m experiences needed

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:36:41 +0000

--nextPart1250962.FYA9aiI88V

On Friday 19 January 2007 14:24, Hamie wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 17:58, George Ruinelli wrote:
> > Thank you all for your feedback
> >
> > Since 3 years, I'm working with a R40 and am happy with it. I'm a little
> > bit unhappy because the negativ reports some of you wrote. I wanted to
> > buy a T60 or T60p, but they aren't available anymore with a good
> > resolution (15", min. 1400x1050) like Johannes also said.
>
> My last laptop was an R50p (1600x1200 LCD) - bought in April 2004. The
> previous one before that was an A20p (1400x1050 LCD) - Bought in 2000 I
> think from memory. I can say that the 1600x1200 LCD was far better at the
> time than the 1400x1050 (Maybe due to 3 years extra use of course, but it
> was much broghter).
>
> My current (6 weeks old) laptop is a z61m (Sorry, not a p). It has the co=
re
> 2 duo, and 1680x1050 LCD. I have 2GB of RAM (Came with 1GB, I bought
> another 1GB from crucial.com/uk last week & spent 5 minutes fitting it.

[deleted]

> The biggest complaint I have is the graphics chip. The z61m is an X1400 a=
nd
> the z61p is a FireGL5200. I couldn't get anything other than 1024x768 out
> of them without the proprietary ATI drivers. And they are pants! XV
> overlays crash the X server when you try to use them, and OpenGL overlays
> just crash the server when you start it up. And ATI just don't give a shit
> (I know, I logged a ticket & golt told again that I had to use what they
> felt like giving me, because they weren't even going to look at any linux
> problems). But I could rant about that all day & still get nowhere except
> frustration. AMD buying them seems to have done nothing AFAICS.

Oh... two more things...

1. The  tifm_ SD card modules stop the laptop from suspending.=20
2. The fglrx module also stops the laptop from suspending.

So if you want to run as  alaptop & be able to suspend & resume you can't r=
un=20
accelerated graphics, nor can you access the SD card slot.=20

Unloading the fglrx module for suspend isn't pracical. You might as well=20
shutdown if you have to stop all your apps. And unloading the tifm_ & mmc=20
modules on suspend doesn't help...=20

Symptoms of the failed suspend is a console screen telling you the second C=
PU=20
is bding suspended, and then it just stops & leaves the screen running afte=
r=20
all the '=3D=3D=3D' have been written to the screen... You can't resume fro=
m there,=20
the power scitch is the only way to get it back.

All-in-all I'm a bit disappointed at the moment with it... But at least I c=
an=20
be reasonably sure it will get better (At least with the tifm_ modules. The=
=20
fglrx seems to be a dead horse). If xorg drivers could give me 1680x1050=20
resolution I'd run those, but they don't seem capable... Although maybe I=20
could try updating to the latest & see if anything has changed since early=
=20
Dec.
Hamish.