[ltp] acpiphp_ibm

Jaime Davila linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:41:05 -0500

Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an X31 laptop with Ultrabay, which I am trying to get working in
> Linux.  The Ultrabay works only if it's plugged in before boot, and
> undocking from it causes a hang.  I'm running 2.6.18 on Debian Etch.
>
> I have no /proc/acpi/ibm/dock, which is apparently related to this:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2006-November/037018.html.
>  ibm_acpi is loaded.
>
> I have no clue how to get it working.  I have (randomly) modprobed
> acpiphp-ibm which resulted in:
> Jan 21 13:41:27 localhost kernel: acpiphp_ibm: ibm_find_acpi_device:
> Failed to get device information<3>acpiphp_ibm: ibm_find_acpi_device:
> Failed to get device information<3>acpiphp_ibm: ibm_find_acpi_device:
> Failed to get device information<3>acpiphp_ibm: ibm_acpiphp_init:
> acpi_walk_namespace failed
>
> Can anyone assist?
>
> Antony
Same thing happens with my x40. The problem seems to be related to a bug
on how the system deals with the cdrom drive in the bay. What I do is
unmount anything that might be in the drive, and then run sudo hotswap
-c 1 unregister-ide . After that, I can undock without a problem.

When I dock again, in order for the system to see the drive, I execute
sudo hotswap -c 1 rescan-ide .

Jaime J. Davila
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College