[ltp] x31 vs x41

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:54:18 -0500

jaime wrote:
 > Paul Fox wrote:
 > > alexey wrote:
 > >  > * Paul Fox <pgf@> [070123 17:36]:
 > >  > > i still haven't gotten the video switching to work completely
 > >  > > reliably, so that i can cycle through screen/external/both when
 > >  > > i'm on the dock,
 > >  > It works for me without any additional configuring.  I'm not
 > >  > using ibm-acpi scripts (only kernel module) nor tpb...
 > >  >

 > > thanks -- that's encouraging.  :-)
 > >
 > > i'm not quite sure what "ibm-acpi scripts" you're referring to --
 > > so i think maybe ubuntu (i'm running edgy) doesn't ship with
 > > them.  there are these:
 > >     /etc/acpi/events/ibm-{hibernate,lockbtn,sleepbtn,videobtn,wireless}
 > > but nothing ibm specific (besides ibm-wireless.sh) in /etc/acpi
 > > itself.
 > >
 > > when i use the function key, i cycle through three states, and the
 > > LCD is on for two of them.  the external screen is on for just one
 > > of them.
 > >
 > > i actually think it may be my xorg.conf file -- i think X isn't managing
 > > the external output correctly.  if it's convenient, do you suppose
 > > i could see your xorg.conf?
 >
 > What problems do you see? I'm using ubuntu edgy myself, without a
 > problem (on an x40).

i sort of described the problem up above, but wasn't very clear
about it.  most of the time, when i select both the lcd and
external monitor, i only get the lcd.  but on boot, if the
external monitor is turned on, and i'm on the dock, then i think
i get both.  (i know i get both in some set of boot-up
conditions -- i'm just not sure right now what those conditions
are.)  but after that, if i use the fn-key to cycle the states,
i can no longer get both displays to work.

i also sometimes have a problem with video.  i've been trying to
play movies using totem, and most of the time where the movie video
should be i get a blank blue area.  switching to ogle at that point
sometimes fixes it.  i haven't done a lot of sleuthing on this one
yet, so i can't tell you exactly under what conditions the
problem occurs.

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 26.8 degrees)